Publish page and multiple subscriptions

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am
Hi, couple of quick questions.

1.How do I access the Publish Page outside of publishing a calendar? (or is the publish script trivial enough I don't need to worry about just going via that button in my DB?

2. My users need to see my data sliced and diced in a bunch of different ways (Trainer, location, course). I need to use Read only Subscriptions due to the complex business logic. Now I've got umpteen calendars, how can I subscribe a user (Users) en masse, so I don't have to type in each subscription URl each time from each users machine?

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm
Hi,

JaseFace wrote:1.How do I access the Publish Page outside of publishing a calendar? (or is the publish script trivial enough I don't need to worry about just going via that button in my DB?

The Publish Script and corresponding URL are meant to be called from the context of the event layout so we can build the URL with the field mapping, etc. Publishing only needs to be done once to create that initial CalendarList Record and only needs to be done again if the field mapping changes. It is useful to get the URLs, particularly for Subscriptions, but isn't required. The Subscription URLs always have this format:

http://<yourserveraddress>/zulu/calendars/<yourfilename>/<ZuluCalendarList_UUID>/

JaseFace wrote:2. My users need to see my data sliced and diced in a bunch of different ways (Trainer, location, course). I need to use Read only Subscriptions due to the complex business logic. Now I've got umpteen calendars, how can I subscribe a user (Users) en masse, so I don't have to type in each subscription URl each time from each users machine?

Unfortunately, each subscription URL is specific to the calendar, so there's not just one URL to distribute. They do all follow the above format, so hopefully that helps. It is important to let them know how to add the link to iCal (or other client) as a subscription. If they open the link in the browser, it downloads a static .ics file. I typically send the URL and a link to a movie showing how to set it up.

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions,
-Jason
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 pm
Kinda, but I'm looking for something to help set up 50+ calendars and suppose was hoping it was something you'd been asked before. I'm a noob at Automator and Apple Script, which is it seems what I should use to perform such a task on a Mac.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 am
HI,

I think I remember somebody created a FileMaker script that would e-mail the URL and set-up video link to the appropriate people, and something like that wouldn't be too hard to do. As far as automating the set-up on iCal, I'm not sure how you would do that, but Applescript sounds like a good possibility. I can't think of anybody who would know how to do this, so anybody reading, please let us know.

Thanks!

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker