.CSV exports for google calendar import

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:00 pm
Thank you so much this calendar is awesome. I cannot get the full times to display however... how do I get the field to force xx:xx:xx for times? (e.g. 10:24 is 10:24:00)....
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:12 am
amokmberan wrote:Thank you so much this calendar is awesome.

Thanks!

I cannot get the full times to display however... how do I get the field to force xx:xx:xx for times? (e.g. 10:24 is 10:24:00)....

You'll want to change the time format on the layout you're exporting from.

I generally export from the AppointmentTable layout. Select the time fields in layout mode and choose Time... from FileMaker's format menu. You can then select the hhmmss format and remove the am and pm. Then, when you're exporting, select the option in the lower left that says "Apply current layout's data formatting...". You'll find this option on the screen where you select the fields to be exported.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 am
Very nice indeed, I can't wait to get working on this, hopefully I can contribute despite my lack of experience...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:59 pm
Hi John:

I found this thread while searching for information on importing into other calendar applications. Our solution is on a remote server (Point In Space). I've tried without much success to use the iCal module (no matter how I specify the location of the fmseedcode2ical.xsl file, I get the error message stating that file can't be found). Now I'm trying another route: exporting calendar records to .csv format, then importing into Google Apps Calendar (the import routine is essentially the same as that for "regular" Google Calendar). The export step goes fine. But then I'm stuck with a file ("appointments.csv") that does not have the headers that Google Apps Calendar requires. Those are (at a minimum): Subject, Start Date, Start Time.

The only way I can think of to solve this problem, is to edit the file, and insert the propers headers. But it's impractical to do this manually. Do you know of an way to automate such a task?

Yours,
Jim Recht
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:12 pm
Hi Jim,

You can export custom headers in much the same way as we Export our iCal files (you'll create a formatted calc in the appointments file and change our xlst file to fit the format you need). Or you can use one of the file plugins to write the exported file line by line. (A very cool technique.) I imagine you'll want some help with this, so feel free to contact us directly and we'll be able to give you an estimate for this.

By the way, I imagine that if you email John May at Point In Space and tell them that you need to reference an xsl file they'll be able to tell you where to put it on their server or find you a web server on which you can put it. Remember, subscribing to FileMaker from iCal is looking at your live data. If you go the export route you'll need to export a new file each time you change the calendar.

(And, so far at least, Google calendar is unable to parse an iCal stream from FileMaker. That is, while you can subscribe to FileMaker from iCal, you can't from Google.)

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:22 pm
Cool, John! This is very helpful. I'll take another look at our options then contact you for an estimate if we go that route. Thanks for all of your help with this!

Yours,
Jim Recht
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:15 am
Hi John:

Just want to be sure we're on the same page. I am using SeedCode Calendar Complete -- is this capable of syncing with iCal? If so, do I use the iCal Subscription Kit? Or do I just go ahead and use the files that came with SeedCode Calendar Complete?

Jim Recht
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:31 am
Whoops -- correction. I meant "subscribing to iCal", not "syncing with iCal." Also, now that I've read the iCal Subscription Kit instructions, it looks to me like I will probably need to modify the field definitions. For example, the field "AppointmentsDaily" doesn't exist in Calendar Complete. Can you guide me here?

Thanks as always,
Jim Recht
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:01 am
Right, the table occurrence is called CalDailyAppointments in Complete. Aside from that, finding things like the appointment time and date are pretty easy, even though the fields are named differently in the examples and in Complete. Email me directly if you'd like us to do some of this for you.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:33 am
Thanks John. Now, the directions state I should use the following URL to subscribe:

http://yourserveripaddress/fmi/xsl/vcal/ccical.xsl?-db=cccalendar&-lay=vcal&-find&-grammar=fmresultset

Is this correct? Or do I need to modify it for Calendar Complete?

Yours,
Jim Recht
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:54 pm
The url has the name of the file in it (db=cccalendar) so you'll want to change that. The layout name is also in the url, but I imagine you've named your layout vcal so that is probably OK. Aside from that the field names are referenced "in" the xls file, but if you've named your fields according to the subscription pdf you should be ok there also.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)