Tip: Importing Appointments from CC Calendar for FM6

Support, Questions and Suggestions for the FM7 Version of CC Calendar.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:44 pm
If you need to import appointments from a FileMaker 6 version of CC Calendar, you'll want to first convert the FM6 appointments file to FM7 by dragging it to the FileMaker 7 application icon. Once it is converted, you can import from it.

Before you do so, move to the "CCCalAppts" layout in the FM7/8 Calendar: this is one of the last layouts, in a section called "Import from Older Versions." (To get thete, run the Show Status Area script and enter layout, then scroll through the layouts until you arrive at your destination.) Once there, you can begin importing your older appointments by lining up the fields like this:

If you don't have any repeating events, you can exclude the PrimeIDX field from the import and leave "Perform Auto Entry..." on. If you DO have repeating events, import just like it is shown above, leave auto entry off and then reset your serial number in the CCCalAppts file when you're done.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 am
John

I'm trying to import some appointments from another CCCalAppts file and followed the instructions on this post of the forum. However in my version of CCCalendar the import layout is totally empty and the only way to import the items is by creating a new CCCalAppts table which i don't imagine is the right way to go.

Could you give me instructions on how to import appointments from another CCCalAppts file ?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:22 am
Hmmm. Sorry for the confusion, but the notes above are the instructions for importing into your version. You just want to make sure that in the calendar you're importing IN to, you're on a layout based on the Appointments table occurrence. You can make a new layout for this, or use the one mentioned in the post above.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:17 am
Yes. Sorry i should have been more explicit. My problem is I think I've followed the instructions correctly but when I import I get an error message saying the all the records were skipped due to errors. I am trying to import the data from a CCalAppts file into the DailyAppointments

[/img]http://www.pulloff.ch/annonces/CCCalApt1.tiff
[/img]http://www.pulloff.ch/annonces/CCCalApt2.tiff

If you can see the images above, it may be a bit clearer what I'm trying to do and where I am going wrong.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:47 am
Thanks for the screen shots. I really don't know what might be causing all those records to be skipped. I can suggest a couple things to look at, however:

Are you in both files with Full Access or are there some access privilege restrictions in either file?

Can you manually make a new record on the layout in the target file that you're importing into?

If you change the import so that you're only importing the ApptDesc (and no other fields) do you get the same error?

From the first screen shot, are you able to scroll through the records to be imported using the arrows to the left of "Field Names"?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:16 am
Are you in both files with Full Access or are there some access privilege restrictions in either file?

Yes.
Can you manually make a new record on the layout in the target file that you're importing into?

Yes.
If you change the import so that you're only importing the ApptDesc (and no other fields) do you get the same error?

Yes.
From the first screen shot, are you able to scroll through the records to be imported using the arrows to the left of "Field Names"?

If by "scrolling through" you mean enable and disenable the arrows to the left of the Field names then the answer is yes. If not I don't really understand what you mean.

However what is also strange is that I created a new Type Name in the Settings to accommodate the Type Name that I want to import. And now I can't even create a new event in CCCalendar using this new Type Name. I get this error message
[img]http://www.pulloff.ch/annonces/CCCalApt3.tiff
[/img]
Would you have any idea of what's not functioning properly here ?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:22 am
Well you have some field validation set for the ApptType field. Try editing or removing that (in the field's definition) and you should be able to create new records. This could be what is preventing your import as well: try turning off the field validation prior to importing.

Let us know.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to CC Calendar (FM7/8)