Filtering dates & appointment navigation

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:44 pm
Hi John,

I'd like to thank you once again for your help in the intergration of your product into my clients solution.

He has, however, some more requests that I have not been able to figure out how to implement gracefully

1. Instead of all the events appearing in the calendar, he would like for just the active events to appear.
These are only the events that have one of the following status descriptions;

Need Info
Bid Submitted
Bid Accepted
Contract Sent
Contract Signed
Equipment Delivered

These are displayed in the table events932 in the show status field as a drop-down menu.

The second issue is when you click on an event on the calendar a button takes you to the appointments window where nothing can be done. Can we figure out a way for this action to take one to the corresponding event? ie., the 'Gig sheet'? I am sure this is simple but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can render.

Chris
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:54 am
nedbguy wrote:Instead of all the events appearing in the calendar, he would like for just the active events to appear.

Hi Chris,

I believe you're using our free calendar, so filtering appointments by type is going to be a bit tricky. I'd suggest you check out our Pro Calendar which has this feature built in.

Even in the Pro Calendar though, you're asking to filter for a "class" of appointment types and that requires a small mod even to the Pro Calendar. The key here is to use the built in filter to show just these 6 events and to make a button to send these 6 items to the filter in one click. The simplest is to add a "show active" button to the mini window where you select types. This button would set the field FilterType_kf_Glob to the text of your 6 active types, separating each with a carriage return. Then the script already in place to close the selection window and propagate your choices would take care of the rest.

If you just wanted the button on the daily view (again this is on the Pro Calendar) you'd edit the script "Filter Tool ( Action )" assigning a new action that would set the field FilterType_kf_Glob to the text of your 6 active types, separating each with a carriage return. Then the routines at the end of the "Filter Tool ( Action )" script would take care of the rest. Again, this would be in the Pro calendar.

The second issue is when you click on an event on the calendar a button takes you to the appointments window where nothing can be done. Can we figure out a way for this action to take one to the corresponding event? ie., the 'Gig sheet'? I am sure this is simple but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

<Chris had emailed me a copy of the file.>

The first GoToRelatedRecord in the script "Edit Appointment" used to specify a layout to use: the layout was "Mini Window Edit Appointment". Add that back into that first GoToRelatedRecord and you'll be all set.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:24 pm
John Sindelar wrote:

If you just wanted the button on the daily view (again this is on the Pro Calendar) you'd edit the script "Filter Tool ( Action )" assigning a new action that would set the field FilterType_kf_Glob to the text of your 6 active types, separating each with a carriage return. Then the routines at the end of the "Filter Tool ( Action )" script would take care of the rest. Again, this would be in the Pro calendar.

Hmmm. Ok. How about this: Can't I create a new table in his solution, title it "Current Events", create a layout with the appointment description, start date, and end date fields, and write a script that looks for only the active events? Then point the calendar at that?

The first GoToRelatedRecord in the script "Edit Appointment" used to specify a layout to use: the layout was "Mini Window Edit Appointment". Add that back into that first GoToRelatedRecord and you'll be all set.
I tried this but it doesn't 'take'.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:05 am
nedbguy wrote:Hmmm. Ok. How about this: Can't I create a new table in his solution, title it "Current Events", create a layout with the appointment description, start date, and end date fields, and write a script that looks for only the active events? Then point the calendar at that?

The calendar looks at things over a relationship, so a script that looks for active events won't have any bearing on what shows up in the calendar. I really don't think a separate table is the answer here: you want to tag some events types as "active" and filter the calendar to show just appointments of those types. That is the kind of filtering our Pro Calendar does. Of course if you know how to add filters to the relationships in the free calendar, you don't need the pro version. It is, however, a great way to learn about these filtered relationships.

I tried this but it doesn't 'take'.

Not quite sure what that means but it may be because you changed the "Mini Window Edit Appointment" layout so it is no longer based on the CalDailyAppointments layout. You may want to compare your script to the same script in a fresh download of the free calendar to see what the differences are.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:02 pm
John Sindelar wrote:The calendar looks at things over a relationship, so a script that looks for active events won't have any bearing on what shows up in the calendar. I really don't think a separate table is the answer here: you want to tag some events types as "active" and filter the calendar to show just appointments of those types. That is the kind of filtering our Pro Calendar does. Of course if you know how to add filters to the relationships in the free calendar, you don't need the pro version. It is, however, a great way to learn about these filtered relationships.

Ok. I have purchased and downloaded the Pro version. Care to walk me through setting up the filter I will need for active events?

I tried this but it doesn't 'take'

Not quite sure what that means but it may be because you changed the "Mini Window Edit Appointment" layout so it is no longer based on the CalDailyAppointments layout. You may want to compare your script to the same script in a fresh download of the free calendar to see what the differences are.

When I go into the 'Edit Appointment' script and double-click on the first Go To Related Record line, in the dialog box I see; 'Get related record from' = 'AppointmentsDaily' and 'Show record using layout' = 'Mini Window Edit Appointment'. I click 'Ok' but the actual script line will not change from 'Using layout:' <unknown>
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm
nedbguy wrote:Ok. I have purchased and downloaded the Pro version. Care to walk me through setting up the filter I will need for active events?

Sure. Take a look at my first response to your first message: that is how I'd do it.

nedbguy wrote:When I go into the 'Edit Appointment' script and double-click on the first Go To Related Record line, in the dialog box I see; 'Get related record from' = 'AppointmentsDaily' and 'Show record using layout' = 'Mini Window Edit Appointment'. I click 'Ok' but the actual script line will not change from 'Using layout:' <unknown>

=)

Yea. That "unknown" is a bug in FileMaker 7x onward. The script works fine, as you'll see, and FileMaker knows which layout you're talking about since when you edit the command the right layout is there. So the bug is really in the display of the layout name.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:16 am
John Sindelar wrote:Sure. Take a look at my first response to your first message: that is how I'd do it.

What I'd really like to set up for this client is an automatic filter so he doesn't have to set it up every time.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:38 pm
Sure. After you've set this up, simply run the "show active" script on start up to pre-filter it for your client.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar