Hours Visible Daily Scroll

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:43 pm
Firstly Thanks very much for a great bolt on calendar solution - massive time saver.

Integration into our system has mean't that the User as in the person the appointment is for, has become a number (key) rather than a text name.

As a lot of the related refferences like (CalLinkUserCalc) act on a text entry. I see a custom function like CCDateRange perform a similar but different function on dates to allow cross relation.

Is there any need for a different treatment of a number here?
Andrew Markham
Xercise Pro
[email protected]
Sydney Australia
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:12 pm
Hi. We use text keys for the user because we want to easily support multiple users per appointment. But, that doesn't mean that the keys in the user table have to be text, just that the keys used between the calendar and the appointments table are text-- and they are.

And you've noticed that they are already abstracted from the actual field in which we store the user. That is, the user's key in the appointment table is stored in ApptUser but the field we use for calendar relationships is ApptKeyUserCalc.

So the only problem you might have is if you want to relate the appointment record to your user record, where the primary key in your user table is a number. You don't want to make the user key in our appointment table a number because that would restrict you to one user per appointment. And you likely don't want to make the primary key in your user table into text as that would have repercussions in your system. So, if you need to make a relationship between an appointment record and your user record, you may want to create a calced version of the user's ID in your user table and transform that into text, using that calc field for the relationship to appointments.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 am
Thanks John,

Yes unfortunately it goes deeper than this. Each appointment is tied to a single staff member by their primary key (number) and each appointment is then also tied to a line item (of time). Which further relates to a purchase item of blocks of time (as we call sessions).

Hence I was hoping you might have a number based equivalent to the text calcs functions. It was more a time and ease thing. Given a quiet couple of hours and I'm sure I can come up with something.

Thanks for the response and once again, great solution.

Andrew
Andrew Markham
Xercise Pro
[email protected]
Sydney Australia

Return to SeedCode Calendar