cc gantt pro and scc

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:28 pm
Hi:

I just dl the scc demo and what a great piece of sw! I have been using FMP since v.5 and never could imagine the power it has until I see your sw today. Great work!

After playing it for a couple of hours I found two thing that I would like to make suggestions about (or the features are there and I am just to new to notice it?):

I noticed on the ccgantt pro screenshots on your web site, it can track not only the project planning and the actual completion at the same time, but also the persons who are responsible for each "milestones". These are very useful features but seem lacking in the scc or scp. Is there a plan on a future update to include these features? Or scc has it and I just didn't notice?

Also, I like the idea of integrating project mgt into calendar with the flexibility to show/hide each selected activity on calendar. However, it is kind of confusing when activities were added under the "appointments", particularly when the activity takes a period of time to finish. It makes the calendar's monthly view very crowded and difficult to read. How about just mark the beginning and the finishing dates under the appointments and place each project activity under "to-do" or "other items" or, even better, a specific tab for "projects" when choose to show on the calendar? Would that generate a much cleaner and more organized monthly calendar view, and a more effective project tracking capability on calendar? Just a thought.

Thanks,

James
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 am
Thanks for the kind words James! Much appreciated.

IDFTW wrote:Hi:I noticed on the ccgantt pro screenshots on your web site, it can track not only the project planning and the actual completion at the same time, but also the persons who are responsible for each "milestones". These are very useful features but seem lacking in the scc or scp. Is there a plan on a future update to include these features? Or scc has it and I just didn't notice?

The "person responsible" is still on the gantt chart as the "user" whose initials appear above a milestone's status. I imagine you could also consider the person responsible to be the item's related contact, and while that field isn't currently on the chart, it could certainly be added. In both cases you can filter the chart by user and/or contact in order to see just those items (from any project) for whom a given person is responsible.

Yea. The old gantt chart showed two bars for every item, the projected duration and the actual duration. We removed this because it just wasn't being used (and it didn't make sense for things like federal filing deadlines, for example). In its place we added the "percent completed" field which draws a line inside each bar to indicate how far along a given item really is. And for those customers who really need to track the difference in dates between two bars, they can a) create a second bar for the actual duration, or b) create a second project, one for the "plan" and the second one for the execution. Though to be honest we've seen a few folks make a second bar (a second milestone) here and there, we haven't seen anyone use the second project metaphor.

IDFTW wrote:Also, I like the idea of integrating project mgt into calendar with the flexibility to show/hide each selected activity on calendar. However, it is kind of confusing when activities were added under the "appointments", particularly when the activity takes a period of time to finish. It makes the calendar's monthly view very crowded and difficult to read. How about just mark the beginning and the finishing dates under the appointments and place each project activity under "to-do" or "other items" or, even better, a specific tab for "projects" when choose to show on the calendar? Would that generate a much cleaner and more organized monthly calendar view, and a more effective project tracking capability on calendar? Just a thought.

Good ideas.

There is definitely a need to keep long project related events off the day-to-day calendar. There are already a number of ways to do this. You can use the icons at the top of the Edit Appointment screen to show any item on the calendar, the gantt chart, or both. You can also use the calendar filters to hide entire projects when on the calendar. Another idea for scheduling things like this is suggested here.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar