Displaying the schedule in a separate window

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:19 am
Hi,

Because of the time it takes for FileMaker to display the scheduling chart, I think I would like to open that in a separate window for quick reference, perhaps using a modified layout that removes nav buttons altogether and just one button to take you back to the main window.

I'm guessing this would complicate things greatly, but it would be very nice to be able to do it. Do you have any suggestions?

MTIA.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 am
Nice idea!

What takes time in drawing the scheduling chart are the appointments themselves, so a new window-- even one without any of the nav headers-- won't make drawing the schedule faster per se. But keeping the schedule open as you work on other things may be a much faster way to work.

I'd suggest that you use the same schedule layouts (there are 3 of them) for this, rather than making three new layouts. This way, you can go to list, search, etc. in your new window as well.

To implement this you'll just need to make a few changes...

1. I'd begin by creating a new script called "Open as New Window". That script would look like this:[code]If [ Mod(Get ( ActiveModiï¬
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:41 am
Thanks! That was really helpful.

I think I'll still remove navigation, but I need to do some more thinking.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:19 pm
Hi All:

I am preparing to implement this cool mod in my own solution. But I don't understand John's statement:

That will make a new window named "schedule" if you're holding down the shift key.

Holding down the shift key...when? When the user is clicking on an existing appointment? (If so, that's just what I would like to have).

Could you clarify this detail? Thanks.

Yours,
Jim Recht
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:44 pm
The routine described here changes the behavior of clicking the "Schedule" tab. Currently, clicking that takes you to one of the schedule layouts; with this mod in place, however, if you hold down the shift key when clicking on the "Schedule" tab, it creates a new window for the schedule so you can leave it up as you return to the other window to continue working.

FWIW, holding down the shift key when clicking on an existing appointment makes a new appointment at that start time instead of bringing up the existing appointment.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar