Hanging Server using IWP

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 pm
Have been happily running Seedcode with IWP for 10+ users and 1500 records. Database and Webpublishing hosted on same Win2003 Server.

Our Marketting Mgr decided everyone should be using this so he purchased 10,000 contacts and added to dbase.

Now on IWP, entering Find mode in the Contact pages freezes the Server (resources max out with "fmswpc.exe" grabbing everything for 30+sec.)

I created a "Search Screen" for users to go to which bypasses the problem but would like to find out why the other is not functioning.

My first inclination would be to remove the additional and try to re-import them - but don't fancy the extra work without some hope of gain.

Suggestions?
Last edited by smai on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah... that a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:10 pm
Hey there,

Hmmm. I take it that this us in the "full" IWP, not the really simple version we have with Complete, right? This hsppens when you enter fibd mode, befire ou search, right? I'd ask if this happens on the contact list also. Could be that a drop down list on the original layout is hitting the server for all records and that thus drop down isn't on your layout but just a guess. One way to troubleshoot this is to delete half the objects on the layout- on a copy of the layout- until you identify the offending object.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:47 pm
John -

Took your suggestion and started deleting fields in a copy of Contacts Layout. When I got to (and deleted) the "Linked to Company" ContactIsNotACompany::ContactCompanyID_kf the IWP version works like it's supposed to - in and out of Find mode with no delay -

The Additional 10,000 records we input were all companies - we are expecting our salesteam to create the additional contacts and relate them to the companies. During the Import I did set all the ContactFlagIsCompany to "1".

What's wrong?
Ah... that a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:00 am
Excellent. That field is formatted as a drop-down list of company IDs and names, sorted by name. Seems like that is too much work for your server. If *all* your records are companies you can remove the whole linked-to-company thing entirely. If not, at least disable entry into ContactIsNotACompany::ContactCompanyID_kf in find mode and place ContactCompany::ContactCompanyName beside it: enable entry to that in find mode but not in browse mode and make it a text box not a list. That way you can search for a company by name without using the drop down list.

That would leave the drop down list only drawing when you try to edit the record, and that may still be a problem. Again, if *all* your records are companies you can remove ContactIsNotACompany::ContactCompanyID_kf and the green arrow beside it. If you need to link contacts to companies, though, you may want to search for the company you're interested in, copy their ID, and paste it into ContactIsNotACompany::ContactCompanyID_kf turning that field into a text box instead of a droop down list. That sounds kind of lame but it is easiest on your server. Alternately you can script that a bit or create a new layout to select the company from a portal, but I fear the portal might have the same effect on your server that the drop-down list had.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar