Populate Calendar from Two Seperate Sources

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 am
I would like to do something basic but am not sure how to accomplish it.

I have sucessfully created a test database with ApptTitle and ApptDate fields, and have then sucessfully linked those to populate into the Calendar. Now I am being asked to have two seperate databases populate the one calendar. I have been able to create relationships from those two existing dabases to populate my test--but in Layout Setup I am only able to have it display from either source1 or source2, not have both sources be able to populate the one. Is this a possible thing to do? Is there an easier way to do it using the calendar?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 am
Good question. So, at the end of the day a portal can only show records from one table. It can show content related to that record (in a portal of contacts I can see a relate phone number or invoice) but a single portal can not show some rows from one table and some rows from another table.

That seems to mean that our calendars can only show one source and that the easiest way to do what you're describing is to create a second calendar (a second graph and layout if not a second file) to show source number 2.

However, if you were to import your two sources into a third table, a single calendar could show records from that table, which would in effect show two sources in one calendar.

And there are some more advanced ways of doing this that we employ in our custom practice, but they aren't public... yet.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:22 am
Thanks for the quick reply! This is what I am trying to do. I have three tables:

Source1 Source2 Calendar_Link

Calendar Link has the fields:

ApptDate
ApptTitle
(Also has start/end time but we aren't going to use those)
I have the Calendar_Link table connected to the Calendar Properly

So in Source1 I have the fields:

ApptDate1
ApptTitle1
Primary_Key_1

And in Source2 I have the fields:

ApptDate2
ApptTitle2
Primary_Key_2

What I want is an entries from Source1 and Source2 both automatically add/fill records in the Calendar_Link table. I do also have the fields in Calendary_Link:

Primary_Key
Foreign_Key_1
Foreign_Key_2

So I have figured out how to get either Source1 working OR Source2, but cannot get both to work at the same time. I appears to me that in Layout Setup for Calendar_Link I have to choose to show records from either Source1 or Source2 but cannot figure out how to get both to function at the same time. Is this possible??
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:26 am
Since the date in Calendar Link needs to be indexed, you can't just rely on relationships for this to work: you have to SetField, Paste, or Import to get that date into Calendar Link from source 1 or 2, meaning that Calendar link should have one record in it for every record in Source 1 and one record in it for every record from Source 2.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:02 am
I sort of understand what you are saying but I really lacking in my filemaker know-how. The relationships I created between Source1/Calendar_Link and Source2/Calendar_Link were told to create new records in Calendar_Link (so I think that would mean I am not using a portal correct?) So Calendar_Link will have a record for each date--but I haven't been able to get both Source1 new records and Source2 Records to show up at the same time.

It sounds like I will have to look into some sort of automatic import feature so the calendar gets updated realtime. Or I could go 2 calendars or wait for you to reveal your new features.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:16 am
Don't wait. ;-)

Write scripts to import your data into Calendar Link and then run those imports as needed. FWIW, if you have tons of data, two calendars will be faster than 1 with this import going on.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar