automatically importing dates from my filemaker table

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 am
I have a database of different events and due dates for a particular study I am working on. So, i have several tables that detail different types of changes to each study linked to a main table for that study. I would like to have the dates I enter into the table automatically imported into the calendar. is this possible? and then, can I link that to microsoft's calendar or g-cal? Or am I dreaming?!

thanks so much for any help
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:46 am
Hey there.

So at the end of the day SeedCode calendar shows records from the Appointments table in the calendar. So you'd want all the dates for your detail records in there. You can do this by importing your data, but most people create relationships to the calendar's appointments table with "Allow creation of records..." turned on. This way when you type in a date in one of your other tables it *automatically* makes a record recording that date in the appointment table.

If you only have one such relationship then you can look up the appointment's project, title, etc. across that relationship. If you have several of these relationships then you just need to be a little more creative in displaying information from any of the appointment's several possible parent records in the calendar: such as using a Case() statement when auto entering (or calculating) the appointment's title.

Once you have records in the Appointments table you can export them as iCal files and share them with other calendars. Or you can subscribe to your FileMaker Server from iCal just as you'd subscribe to any other published calendar. You *can't* currently subscribe from Google Calendar using the technique in the link above, but we do have a way to get this done if you'd be interested in some custom modifications to the calendar.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar