Calendar: contacts instead of resources

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:39 pm
John,

I could swear I remember seeing some sort of instructions to have the calendar display by contacts instead of by resources. I can't for the life of me find those instructions.

Thing is, I will need more convenient filtering based on specific contact features, rather than on individual contacts. If you want to think in terms of the current setup, pretend you need to filter resources according to whether they are indoors or outdoors and whether they are owned or rented, and it needs to be done with permanently visible global fields for selection purposes.

What I have in mind at this point, in lieu of your horizontal calendar display, is to add 31 unstored calcs, one for each day of the month, to the Contacts table, calculated on the basis of the global fields that set the month being displayed. This would link contacts to appointments in a specific way that would be convenient for quickly filtered displays.

Does this sound like a sound approach? Do you think I should work with Horizontal view instead?

Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 am
bigsox wrote:I could swear I remember seeing some sort of instructions to have the calendar display by contacts instead of by resources. I can't for the life of me find those instructions.

I think these are the instructions you're looking for: http://www.seedcode.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=644

bigsox wrote:Thing is, I will need more convenient filtering based on specific contact features, rather than on individual contacts. If you want to think in terms of the current setup, pretend you need to filter resources according to whether they are indoors or outdoors and whether they are owned or rented, and it needs to be done with permanently visible global fields for selection purposes.

What I have in mind at this point, in lieu of your horizontal calendar display, is to add 31 unstored calcs, one for each day of the month, to the Contacts table, calculated on the basis of the global fields that set the month being displayed. This would link contacts to appointments in a specific way that would be convenient for quickly filtered displays.

Does this sound like a sound approach? Do you think I should work with Horizontal view instead?

Thanks!

I think the horizontal view will be more useful in that you can further filter appointments by type, project, etc. But that's just me. Might as well make a few of the 31 calcs etc. and see what it feels like.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:03 pm
Oh, I know what it feels like - heaven, compared to the mess I've got currently.

But the filtering I need has to be more convenient.

I'll take a long, hard look at the layout and where it's coming from, but I need my business-specific filters out there, visible at all times and convenient to change. And a lot of filters are just not pre-programmable - they depend on context and require entry fields.

Return to SeedCode Calendar