Major slowdown to external database

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:33 am
I'm running the Filemaker PHP API off of a database I've created which is tied in somewhat to Seedcode Calendar. Basically it is just pulling certain types of events in and creates records in a table based on the events.
I've been developing the web side of things without the Seedcode calendar connections made in the database. As soon as I connect the calendar in, page load times are 10 to 100 times slower than without the calendar database (going from sub .5 second to 5 - 40 seconds). And these are pages that have no calls to the Calendar database, but have a few calculations in the table including some auto enter calcs. I'm hosting on a brand new X-Serve and accessing the page locally.
Any thoughts on why this would be and ways to correct it?

Jon
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am
Hey Jon,

PHP is not my thing, unfortunately. But I can assume that you're connecting to the Appointments table. That table just has a huge index an a lot of dependencies. You *might* try making a new .fp7 with a very simple graph (just the appointments table and perhaps the contacts table linked to it) and make your PHP connection to that file with its simpler dependencies. If that is completely off the mark, let me know what you're trying to show in the PHP pages and I'll see if I can help.

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am
UPDATE:
I figured out the error in my ways. I didn't have the website user in the calendar database. That cut the response times by quite a bit, but they're still double with the database connected. Is that normal? Or has anyone tried this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 am
Good deal. Can't say what normal is as I haven't hooked this up to PHP but maybe others can chime in.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar