Relating 2 databases to the calendar

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 am
Currently i have a db called "Packing Slips" related to Calendar daily by a "cal filter date glob = packing slip::ship date" relationship.
This allows me to show all job that shipped on a certain date via the "Daily" layout.

Now i am trying to show only jobs that shipped out on a particular date and limit that find to a particular salesperson.

Currently i have a field in packing slips called salesperson that pulls from a field in a different db called Customers.

How could i link up everything in order to get my desired result.

I tried creating a global field in Calendar Daily called salesperson and related it to the packing slips::salesperson hoping that I could enter in the salesperson initials and it would limit the portal, but it will not work.

Then i tried to have my calendar daily::salesperson field be a drop down menu of packingslips::salesperson, but this will not work either because packingslips::salesperson comes from a related field itself.

Any ideas??
Robin
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 am
Hi Robin,

Which version of our calendar are you using? Our Pro calendars have filters that will help with this. In any case your field "packingslips::salesperson" will need to be indexed if you'd like to do this with portal filtering; that may mean making that field a lookup or auto enter calc that grabs the salesperson when the packing slip is created.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 am
I'm just using the free calendar, so filtering is not available for me.

I tried to make the packingslips::salesperson indexed and Filemaker will not let me because it is relating from a different field (customers::salesperson)

The field is set up as a calculation field:
packingslips::salesperson=
customers::salesperson

so that the packingslips::salesperson is pulling straigt from the customers::salesperson field.

Is there a different way to do this so that it can be indexed?
I've honestly tried everything that i'm so lost.
Robin
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 am
You'll need to make it a regular text field and then get the data in there another way: one way is to change the field's auto enter options to use the same definition it did when it was a calc. This will grab the salesperson's info as soon as the packing slip is created. Works great for new packing slips but you'll have to use FileMaker's "Replace Field Contents" feature from the Records menu to get the salesperson's info in there for existing packing slips.

And, of course, you'd need to manage what happens when you change the salesperson on the customer record: do you want that to change it on all packing slips? On only unshipped packing slips? You'll write a script to keep this information in sync for some subset of the customer's packing slips.

More work, for sure, but this is what we do when we want to search / filter on related information.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am
You are such a genius!
It worked!

Thank you soo much! :D
Robin

Return to SeedCode Calendar