Confused beginner - please help!!

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:04 pm
I am a keen amateur with a little experience of VBA, flash actionscript and know a fair bit of simple database stuff. I wrote a simple appliction using layouts but no scripting in FM 8.5 last summer.

I am a teacher who wants to develop a lesson planning tool which will allow me to plan a lesson and then add the lesson to a calendar.

I have just downloaded the free version of the calendar and as an interface it is amazing.

I am thinking of replacing the "appointments" with"lessons" and then "lessons" to a "resources" file.

I am a little confused abou the advice given on the forum. I see advice for seedcode calendar, cc calendar and a couple of other descriptions. Also the title DEMO is on the page but it isnt one of the 10 day demos.

so my 2 questions....

1....is my idea feasible with the free copy i downloaded today?

2... which version will i have, and is the calendar component the same for all versions therefore allowing me to follow any bits of calendar adice here.

I appreciate the great work you have done here. Thanks.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:25 pm
Hi,

First,what you suggest is totally doable: our appointments table would
*be* your lesson table. As to versions, the free version
is at the core of the others so the instr for SeedCode Cal Pro will apply as will the instr for the free version, but there will be superfluous stuff in the pro instr.

When it comes to the CC Calendar instructions, get gist of those instructions will help, but the table names and field names changed between those instr and your version.

Hope that helps!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:40 am
wow that was quick.

Yes it helped a great deal thank you.

The week view and the ability to link 2 more databases seem too good to be true for $29.00.

Is there a UK site from which I can buy this version as I just hate giving free cash to the credit card people for the currency conversion?

Again thanks for putting this stuff up, I can't believe I was going to attempt to produce such an interface until yesterday.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:02 am
just playing with the free version and i see that it actually does have a week view.....

have i missed something
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:16 pm
Nope, you got it. The free version of seedcode calendar has one, the free version of our older calendar (cc calendar) does not have a week view.
Last edited by John Sindelar on Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:18 am
A little more advice please

I downloaded the full version of what turned out to be CC Calendar and i think it is brilliant. Hae got hold of loads of boos, videos and snippets of advice and code from all over the place.

As I said earlier, I am going to use the calendar as the core of an pplication that will allow me to enter lesson plans (in place of appointments), schemes of work related lesson plans), classes, students and various other bits of information that will help me plan as a teacher.

Although I appreciate that every situation is different, would you give advice on 2 things......

1 As a beginner should I produce a seperate FP7 file for each "module" and control their use from within te calendar program or should I introduce more table etc to the calendar file. I can see that borrowing images, layouts etc might be easier using one file.

2 I it generally easier to produce new layouts etc for the different tasks i needt to do and try to coordinate their look and feel with what s already in calendar, or should i use what is there and copy/change what is there to produce what i need.

Any help would be appreciated.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:27 am
thinker_od wrote:1 As a beginner should I produce a seperate FP7 file for each "module" and control their use from within te calendar program or should I introduce more table etc to the calendar file. I can see that borrowing images, layouts etc might be easier using one file.

I'd introduce more tables and layouts into the calendar. For one thing it is pretty simple to split a single .fp7 into several components later, but merging distinct .fp7s into one file can be difficult. So using just one file makes things easier to start and keeps your options open.

thinker_od wrote:2 I it generally easier to produce new layouts etc for the different tasks i needt to do and try to coordinate their look and feel with what s already in calendar, or should i use what is there and copy/change what is there to produce what i need.

This is really just a matter of personal preference and I'd encourage you to try both approaches and see which best fits your abilities with FileMaker. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you duplicate and modify an existing layout, pick one as close to your desired functions as possible. For example, don't use the calendar's month layout as the basis for a new class description layout- just creating more work for yourself.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 am
Thanks again for the prompt reply and advice, all of which i will take onboard.

Thanks also for such a nicely written piece of software at such a reasonable price.

Return to SeedCode Calendar